Sunday, May 31, 2009

"Kamala went back to her Krishnan yaa Allah as she says"


I cannot fold/my wayward limbs to crawl into/coffins of religions./I shall die, I know,/but only when I tire of love;/tire of life and laughter./Then fling me into a pit/six feet by two,/do not bother to leave/any epitaph for me.


These are the 71-year-old Kamala Das's lines in one of her recent poems.
Kamala Das's poems epitomise the dilemma of the modern Indian woman who attempts to free herself, sexually and domestically, from the role bondage sanctioned by the past.

First Madhavi Kutty. Then Kamala Das. Then Kamala Suraiya after she embraced Islam some years ago, inviting the wrath of the conservative Malayali Hindu society. "I fell in love with a Muslim after my husband's death. He was kind and generous in the beginning. But I now feel one shouldn't change one's religion. It is not worth it. Also, I have been accused of being feminist. I am not a feminist, as it is understood. I don't hate men. I feel a woman is most attractive when she surrenders to her man. She is incomplete without a man."Thats wat she told after embracing the Islam relegion..

Summing up her past, she once again becomes the poet of the heart and the soul, complete with the melancholy refrain.

Kamala Das has received many awards for her literary contribution. Some of them are

Kamala Das wrote about a range of topics, often disparate, from the story of poor old servant (Punnayoorkulam) or about the sexual disposition of upper middle class women living near a metropolitan city or in the middle of the ghetto. Some of her better-known stories include Pakshiyude Manam, Neypayasam, Thanuppu, and Chandana Marangal. She wrote a few novels , among which Neermathalam Pootha Kalam, which was received favourably by the reading public as well as the critics, stands out.

She saw Krishnan and Alla as same.After transforming to Islamity she told tht the nly changed occured is tht her Krishnan is being changed to Allah.....

No comments:

Post a Comment